How do I prepare for spine surgery?
- If you smoke, quit. Patients who smoke do not fuse bone as well as non-smokers.
- Complete pre-admission testing (P.A.T.). P.A.T. for spine surgery usually consists of a heart EKG, chest x-ray and blood tests. All the results must be sent to us 30 days prior to the scheduled surgery. Our office medical assistant will facilitate and coordinate this with you.
- Stop any blood thinners one week before surgery.
- Arrive to the hospital 2 hours prior to the scheduled surgery time.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before surgery.
Will I need a brace after surgery?
All patients who undergo spine surgery with metal instrumentation and fusion will require a brace.
Will I need to wear a bone growth stimulator after surgery?
A bone growth stimulator magnet is an FDA approved, external device that is used to help stimulate bone growth and fusion after surgery. However, in order for the insurance to approve it, the surgery has to be in one of the following categories: multilevel fusion, a redo, a patient who smokes, or osteoporosis or diabetic.
Guidelines for the care immediately after surgery (first 3 weeks):
- You may shower on the fourth day after surgery
- Take the dressing off on the fourth day, and leave it off
- Wear a spine brace if given one.
- Do not lift greater than 10 lbs for the first 3 weeks after surgery
- No excessive bending, lifting or twisting (no BLT)
- Call office for an appointment for 3 weeks after surgery. Bring your spine X-ray to this appointment.
Peripheral Nerve Surgery
How long after carpal tunnel surgery will I wait before going back to work?
How long after carpal tunnel surgery can I get the incision wet?
On the forth day post-op the outer wrap may be removed, and the incision washed the with soap and water. The sutures are permitted to get wet. You will return to the office 2 weeks after surgery, and the sutures will be removed.